One of the recurring questions that comes up among those that are follow city politics is how many city employees actually live in the city. Common belief holds (correctly or incorrectly) that city employees like police officers, planning officials, etc. can do their jobs better if they shared affinity with the city they worked in. Now, thanks to Baltimore City's Open Baltimore project, we can actually look at the numbers.
The spreadsheet below is based on the data provided by OpenBaltimore as of January 2011. I added percentage columns and a count of in state, non city resident employees. My analysis appears after the document:
[googleapps domain="docs" dir="spreadsheet/pub" query="hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AuvvjvrmpDy4dFlxSmFmT0JpSUhCUXBCa3JjdUszTGc&single=true&gid=0&output=html&widget=true" width="600" height="500" /]
There are several surprising things in this document:
- About 44% / 6,338 of city employees do not live in the city
- About 5% / 743 city employees do not live in the state of Maryland!
- Top six agencies by highest percentage of out of state employees are: Orphan's Court (5 / 41%), Fire Academy Recruits (11 / 18 %), Mayors Office (16 / 16%), Comptroller's Office (1 / 11 %), the Fire Department (184 / 11%) and Police Department (327 / 9%).
- By sheer numbers, the highest six agencies with out of state employees are: Police Department (327), Fire Department (184), Health Department (47), Solid Waste/DPW (21), Water/DPW (19), and the Mayors Office (16).
- Top six agencies with out of city, in state employees by percentage are: Wage Commissioner (3 / 100%), Audits / Comptroller (23 / 63%), Police Department (2,155 / 62%), Finance / Account and Payroll (26 / 55%), Fire Department (902 / 53 %) and State's Attorney's Office (191 / 51 %).
- Top six agencies with out of city, in state employees by sheer numbers are: Police Department (2,155 / 62%), Fire Department (902 / 53 %), Water/DPW (450 / 29%), Health Dept (263 / 25%), Highways / Transportation (211 / 25 %), and State's Attorney's Office (191 / 51 %).
- Top six agencies with the lowest percentage of city resident employees are: Wage Commissioner (0 / 0%), Police Department (977 / 28%), Fire Academy Recruits (20 / 33%), Comptroller / Audits (12 / 33%), Fire Department (616 / 36%) and Finance / Accounting and Payroll (20 / 42 %).