Adapted from “The Real Food Dietitians”. It can be made with either sweet or regular potatoes. This recipe can be doubled and can also be frozen. Feel free to vary the types of vegetables added to the dish. Makes 8 servings, total cooking time is 1h 30 mins
For the meat:
- Cooking spray
- 1.5 pounds of ground meat (beef or beef/chicken mix)
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 package of mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 1 small onion
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- pepper and salt to taste
For the topping:
- 1 large sweet potato or two large regular potatoes
- 1 tablespoon (T) of coconut oil or margarine
- 1-2 teaspoons of taco or shawarma seasoning
- Put up a small pot of water to boil.
- Cut up the sweet or regular potatoes into chunks and add to the pot.
- Boil for about 30 minutes until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes are boiling, mince all remaining vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
- Add meat, diced tomatoes and spices. Mix well (add liquid such as water, almond milk or tomato sauce if it’s hard to mix).
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Put the meat mix into the pan and press down with a spoon to form an even surface then refrigerate until the potatoes are ready.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain the pot and add the pieces into a mixing bowl. Mash with a spoon.
- Add coconut oil or margarine and cover with the potato mash to melt. Wait 1-2 minutes until melted then add spices and mix.
- Spoon the topping on top of the meat mix in the pan and pat down with a spoon to smooth.
- Bake in the oven on 350″ F for about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and serve. Can be frozen and reheated.